How To Set Up The Perfect At Home Breast Pump Station
By Amy Huffman | December 30, 2019
While a breast pump provides mom with a way to take a break from breastfeeding, it can also give new moms the opportunity to build up their milk supply, relieve any engorgement and create a surplus of breast milk for future feedings. This refrigerated or stored breast milk can give dads, partners and other family members the opportunity to bond with the little one too!
Regardless of your reason for pumping, 1 Natural Way is here to make sure your at-home breast pumping area is versatile, comfortable, easily accessible, cleaned with ease, and full of pumping must-haves, along with some boredom busters!
STEP 1: Stock up on Supplies
The time at home preparing for baby’s arrival can be exciting and stressful all at once. In between nesting and childbirth classes, don’t forget to employ these time saving tips to ensure your breast pumping sessions (even if rare) are stress free, successful and well planned.
- Contact 1 Natural Way to secure a breast pump and accessories - possibly at no cost to you (depending on your insurance coverage). We’ll also help you choose the best breast pump for your feeding needs.
- Once your breast pump and accessories arrive at your home, take the time to learn how the pump works, how to clean it, and what type of nursing bras will work best with your pump.
- Order extra pumping supplies - breast shields of various sizes, additional tubes, membranes, valves, power adapters, and batteries. Also, stock up on breast milk storage bags, bottles and nipples. Some moms are eligible for supplies that are fully covered by insurance! Moms enrolled in the 1 Natural Way Resupply Program have the opportunity to receive breastfeeding supplies every month!
- Purchase pumping friendly clothing. This includes bigger bras, hands free nursing bras, clip on/off nursing bras, nursing tank tops, and clothes that are comfortable and easily removed or lifted.
- Purchase/download any apps or handheld devices to help you track pumping schedules (reminders and alarms), time pumping, etc.
STEP 2: Get Organized
Especially if you’re a first-time mom, new - and necessary - routines and systems may seem completely foreign to you. Start organizing early (even if just in your head), so your game plan is set when baby is home.
- Create a system for organizing bottles, nipples, bottle brushes and breast milk storage bags. Establish a place where dirty bottles will go, where and how you will clean them, and a place to dry them.
- Devise a labeling or tracking system for bottled and stored breast milk. This involves keeping track of which side you pumped on, how long you pumped for, and dating milk to be stored.
- Learn the rules and guidelines for breast milk storage, refrigeration, freezing, thawing, carrying around in an insulated cooler, etc.
STEP 3: Artful Arrangement
Breast pumping sessions can take between 15 and 45 minutes, and many moms pump several times throughout the day. Creating a peaceful haven to pump will not only make the process less stressful, but can even lead to increased milk production!
- Stake out a place that is free from intrusion, distractions and stress inducers. (So maybe not in front of your full kitchen sink!) If you are planning to watch shows or listen to music while pumping, don’t forget to make sure the Wi-Fi signal is h3 in the place you pick out.
- Many like to set up their pumping station in their baby’s nursery, with supplies within arm’s reach of the rocker. Others may prefer a desk with a high-back chair or just simply a cushy chair with armrests, a foot stool and a table to hold the pump and its supplies.
- Keep a blanket close by or mini fan depending on your temperature at home and internally.
- Make sure any lamps or lights are within arm’s reach.
- Choose a table or chest that is large enough to hold your breast pump essentials, bottling and storage supplies, as well as some creature comforts like snacks, drinks, books, magazines, and your favorite electronics.
- Create an all-encompassing electronics charging station for any and every electronic item you’ll be using while pumping - cell phone, tablet, e-reader, and your laptop.
- Need some snack and beverage inspiration? Here are some foods and drinks to fuel you, boost your supply and more.
- Store items like nipple pads, nipple cream and heating/cooling pads close to you for easy access.
- Don’t forget to keep headphones close by too. Besides watching videos or listening to music, headphones can keep distractions at bay and drown out the sound of a breast pump. It’s the perfect opportunity to listen to some meditation walk-throughs or some nature/relaxation sounds.
- Keep a towel close by for any spills! It is worthwhile to keep anti-bacterial wipes or quick clean breast pump wipes on hand.
- If baby is sleeping, keep their baby monitor (sound or camera) nearby on the table.
1 Natural Way offers a complete array of products and services to make moms more comfortable and confident throughout their pregnancy and breastfeeding journey. We provide mothers with name brand breast pumps, monthly breastfeeding supplies, maternity compression stockings and postpartum recovery garments, as well as expert and compassionate advice and top-notch customer service. Click here to start the qualification process and find out if you qualify for a breast pump at no cost to you.
About the Author
As one of 1 Natural Way's Provider Relations Specialists, Amy Huffman helps moms find a breast pump that's right for their lifestyle, preferences and budget. Because so many moms need help comparing one or two pumps, she thought it would be helpful to write posts about the pumps being compared most often. A mother of two boys and a daughter, her youngest, Amy enjoys getting away to the peaceful beach, music of all kinds (even the old favorite Old McDonald Had a Farm) and spending time with family and friends.