Medicaid Breast Pump Coverage and Other Benefits
Looking for a free breast pump through Medicaid? Let us help!
If you have health care coverage through your state's Medicaid plan or one of its chosen Managed Care Organizations (MCO), you are likely eligible for a free breast pump under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). However, since Medicaid programs are funded by the states, benefits can vary a lot from one to the next.
Many states will cover a personal use double-electric breast pump, but there are some that offer a manual breast pump or breast pump rental instead. Still others offer no breast pump coverage or require medical necessity (i.e. premature birth or inverted nipples) to get a free breast pump with Medicaid.
Yes, it can be confusing! That's why 1 Natural Way will help you every step of the way - see our How to Get a Breast Pump through Medicaid section below for more detail. Ready to find out more about your Medicaid coverage? Fill out our simple qualification form!
How to Order a Breast Pump through Your Medicaid Insurance
With 1 Natural Way, getting your breast pump through your Medicaid insurance plan is simple! Follow these easy steps and you could have your insurance covered breast pump within seven days!
- Provide information about yourself and your insurance plan. It will only take a minute or two! This will allow us to verify your Medicaid Coverage.
- We'll verify your Medicaid insurance coverage instantly. We'll let you know what breast pumps Medicaid covers at 100% and which have an out-of-pocket expense. Still trying to choose? See our breast pump reviews.
- Choose your breast pump from top breast pump brands like Ameda, BabyBuddha, Lansinoh, Medela, Motif, Spectra and more!
- Submit your prescription. If you don't already have one, our team will work with your physician's office to obtain a prescription for your breast pump. Once we receive your prescription (or when your Medicaid plan allows), your breast pump will ship (always for free)!
If you have any questions during this process, your Medicaid coverage, or the breaest pumps you see on our site, please email us at email@example.com, text us at 419-740-4306 or call us at (888) 977-2229.
What Medicaid plans are accepted by 1 Natural Way?
1 Natural Way is a contracted medicaid provider in Alaska, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Pennslyvania, and Texas. We are also contracted with the following managed care organizations (MCO's).
- AETNA BETTER HEALTH OF KANSAS
- AETNA BETTER HEALTH OF KENTUCKY
- AETNA BETTER HEALTH OF LOUISIANA
- AETNA BETTER HEALTH OF TEXAS - CHIP
- AETNA BETTER HEALTH OF TEXAS
- AMERIHEALTH CARITAS OHIO
- ANTHEM BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF OHIO - MEDICAID
- BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF TEXAS MEDICAID
- BUCKEYE HEALTH PLAN
- CARESOURCE OF INDIANA - HEALTHY INDIANA PLAN (HIP)
- CARESOURCE OF INDIANA - HOOSIER HEALTHWISE
- CARESOURCE OF OHIO
- FIRSTCARE HEALTH PLANS - MEDICAID
- HEALTHY BLUE LOUISIANA
- HUMANA HEALTHY HORIZONS IN OHIO
- HUMANA HEALTHY HORIZONS OF LOUISIANA
- MANAGED HEALTH SERVICES (MHS)
- MDWISE - HEALTHY INDIANA PLAN (HIP)
- MDWISE - HOOSIER HEALTHWISE
- MOLINA HEALTHCARE OF OHIO
- PA HEALTH & WELLNESS
- PASSPORT HEALTH PLAN
- RIGHTCARE FROM SCOTT AND WHITE HEALTH PLAN
- UNITED HEALTHCARE COMMUNITY PLAN OF OHIO
Frequently Asked Questions: Medicaid Breast Pumps and 1 Natural Way
What breast pumps does Medicaid cover?
With 1 Natural Way, you have a lot of great pump options to choose from. The Medicaid plans accepted by 1 Natural Way cover models from Spectra, Medela, Ameda, Lansinoh, Motif, Ardo, and Freemie. Just a few examples are the Medela Pump In-Style with MaxFlow, Spectra S2, Ameda Mya Joy and the Freemie Independence II.
Unfortunately, breast pumps that would require us to collect an out-of-pocket contribution (“upgrade fee”) from you are not options. The Medicaid and MCO plans that we work with prohibit us from allowing you to share in the cost of a breast pump.
What other Medicaid benefits can 1 Natural Way help me with?
In addition to a breast pump through Medicaid, some moms (depending on the state or MCO) can also receive:
- Pregnancy support bands - ease discomfort by relieving pregnancy-related pressure from the abdomen, hips, and lower back.
- Maternity compression stockings - help reduce swelling and discomfort and promote circulation in the legs.
We'll let you know if you are eligible for these products after we verify your benefits.
I am covered by Medicaid and another insurance plan. Why can't I get my insurance-covered breast pump through Medicaid?
States require that Medicaid be used as your secondary insurance if you are covered by Medicaid and another insurance provider (“primary insurance”). If your primary insurance does not provide any coverage of a breast pump (including manual pumps and rentals), you may be eligible to receive one through Medicaid.
The only exception is when a mom has Medicaid and Medicaid (military) coverage. In such cases, Medicaid becomes the primary insurance.
I can get a free breast pump through Medicaid but not breast pump accessories and supplies. Why?
Some Medicaid plans that we work with with do not cover breast pump parts, breastfeeding supplies, breast milk storage bags, etc. This is a decision that was made by those states and MCOs when determining benefits. Other states and MCO plans may provide coverage.
Do I have to have a prescription to get a Medicaid breast pump?
Yes, a prescription for your breast pump is required to submit your claim to Medicaid. This is also true for any Medicaid-covered maternity or postpartum benefit you receive through 1 Natural Way.